Saturday, August 29, 2009

Why I run

Today during our long run (4 miles), I got to thinking about why I run. I thought I would share.

Why I run:
- I don't have cancer.
- Too many people have been or will be affected by cancer in some way in my lifetime.
- Because of people who have run before me, I got the chance to get to know someone who has become a good friend - someone whose life would be much different without medical advances.
- There's a cure out there.
- I am constantly in awe of the amazing people I get to run with - they inspire me with their amazing attitudes and drive. They make me feel hopeful.
- I like to eat - running makes me feel less guilty about the eating =)

The run itself wasn't too bad. I'm definitely feeling better than I did this time last year, but I'm still out of shape, and I'm still really slow. I managed to run the majority of the first 2 miles, but I had to take several walk breaks during the last 2. I suffered a bit, but I honestly felt pretty good for most of the run. I don't know how I can struggle through the mileage and still feel good, but I do.

I do worry about more mileage, but I'm going to be better about the rest of my runs, and I'm going to start weight training again. My legs will be beaten into submission before you know it =)

After the run, we had a nutrition clinic. These things I know - these things I'm good at, even if I fully believe in cheating because food is so amazing. It was a good clinic, though, and we got free food =)

Nothing special this week. I'll be in Morris, Illinois, for the week for work, so I will just run daily in the park across from the plant. I'm looking forward to the lovely running weather. But I'll miss my running buddy and the rest of the team. At least I'll be back for next Saturday's run!

2 comments:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Great list of why you run. I think all of our lists range from small to big reasons.

Good luck in your training.

amy
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com

Anonymous said...

A very well heartfelt list. Kudos and good luck to you.

I recently returned to running after *cough* years *cough* away from it and am about the same mileage as you are currently. I hope you can stick to it.

What amazing motivation you have to run. Cheers.