Saturday, November 8, 2008

Yet more running...

Well, I think that this week went ok. I am definitely starting to get frustrated with having to fit my running into the rest of my fabulous life, but I am getting it in. I am not one to give up on something, so I will be trying to shape my life around running through the rest of the holiday season.

I had to take care of a couple of things when I got home from work on Monday, so I was a little late starting my run (but, we're talking like 5:30 here). We were set to do 30 minutes, and I am really not having trouble with those anymore (aside from the boredom). I got 10 minutes into the run, and it started to get dark. I decided to shorten the run to 20 minutes in order to get home and minimize my time running in the dark. I just really am not comfortable running in Houston in the dark by myself. I can't believe how early it gets dark now. Silly time change.

I was in a seminar on Tuesday that didn't start until 9am, and I had plans that evening, so I decided to get the run over with in the morning (I think I would do all my runs in the morning if it wasn't still dark when I normally go to work - it's nice to have the run out of the way first thing). We had 35 minutes scheduled, and I didn't really expect to have too much trouble.

It actually ended up being a really bad run. I meant to take a gel before starting, because I can't eat before running, and I figured that I would need something. I guess some combination of forgetting the gel and running just 13 hours before hit me the wrong way. The run was just hard. I slowed to a walk several times, but never let myself walk for more than 30 seconds. It was just a rough and annoying run. I did manage to get through it, though.

Seriously, getting the run over with was awesome. It was great to come home and not have to run and shower before doing anything. I wish I could run in the morning all the time.

I skipped track night on Wednesday again. I am getting really bad about that, but I am so burnt out on running right now that it is a much needed break. I will definitely have to get back into a Wednesday run of some sort, but while I am still trying to get healthy again, I think the rest is a good thing.

I had a meeting at 8am at another site on Thursday, so I was actually able to squeeze in a run before work. This time, the morning run went really well for me. I did 40 minutes with no trouble at all. I was really pleased with the run. I am not thrilled that the weekly runs are getting longer, but I am happy to see that I am managing to get through them. I might not enjoy the running, but I am getting it done.

This week's Saturday morning long run was schedule for 10 miles, and I was very afraid. As we were warming up, the coach told us to just do 8, as he thinks it is a little early for us to be doing 10 (I hope you didn't do 10, Kelli!). I was really, really happy to just have to do 8. Putting off the 10 miler for another couple of weeks sounds like a really good plan to me.

It was pretty cold out this morning. I actually wore a jacket, and my hands and legs were pretty cold. The legs stop bothering me once I get running, but I think I need to get gloves. I saw a lot of runners on the loop this morning in shorts, t-shirt, and gloves. It looks funny, but I totally understand why they do it.

The run itself went fairly well. It was the same route as our last 8 miler - do the park loop, follow Memorial out to Chimney Rock, turn around, and head back to the park.

I definitely missed having someone to run with this morning. Running for that long alone is just so BORING. And 8 miles is a really long way.

I did manage to run the whole way, with 2 stops for water and one to get a rock out of my shoe. I also ended up running an extra 1/2 mile because I needed to use a restroom about halfway through, so I needed to take a detour. So I did 8.5 miles today, making it the furthest distance I have ever run =)

The run took me about 2 hours and 5 minutes (including the extra 1/2 mile and rest stops). I am still definitely slower than I would like to be, but I still have time to improve. I mean, I am running the whole distance, I just need to up the speed a bit. I am sure I can do it.

I wore the band for my IT Band this morning, and it seemed to help. I still had pain, but it wasn't as bad. I really, really need to get better about rolling my legs several times a day, but I really hate doing that. Silly body objecting to the torture I am putting it through.

Tomorrow will be a must needed rest day. I have come to really appreciate those...

No comments: