Saturday, January 10, 2009

One week left...

A week from tomorrow is the half marathon. I am very afraid.

This morning's run was pretty uneventful. We did get to sleep in another hour, for a 7am start. The planned route was 6 miles - leave the park, run to Waugh, take Waugh to Allen Parkway, run to Montrose, turn around and head back to the park. We ended up turning around at the rest stop at Waugh since Kelli needed to get to a work thing, making the run 5 miles. I intended to run an extra mile when we got back to the park, but that didn't happen for several reasons.

The run itself wasn't too bad. We definitely ran more than we walked, and I thought we did really well, pace-wise. I guess we are as ready as we are going to be...

Aches and pains update: I can definitely tell that my sinuses aren't happy, but they are holding up ok; I started out the day with my foot feeling much better, but it definitely hurt by the end; and my knee didn't bother me at all. I definitely tried to take it easy, as I just need everything to keep from falling apart for one more week. The pain in the foot isn't bad enough to make me stop running, but I have been taking it easy on it because I don't want it to get worse and keep me from running next weekend. If I can't walk at the end of the half marathon, that's fine, I just want to make it through.

The big shock of the morning was the weather. It was 70 degrees when we started out, and it was definitely humid. The temperature wasn't so bad, but I was sweating like crazy. After we turned around and headed back towards the park, the temperature managed to drop over 10 degrees, and it got really windy. Since I was wet with sweat, the cold wind was a bit shocking. We got misted on a little bit, too, but luckily, we didn't get any serious rain.

When we got back to the park, I decided to stop with Kelli since it was cold and yucky out and my foot was giving me trouble. It was supposed to be an easy week, anyway, so I think 5 good miles is as good as 6 weak ones.

So, yeah, next week. Crazy. I pick up my Team in Training packet tomorrow and my marathon packet on Friday. Then we do this thing.