Sunday, January 4, 2009

2 weeks out...

Well, the half marathon is 2 weeks from today.

I'm amazed at how soon this run is. I'd like to say that I think I'm ready, but I think it would be more accurate to say that I am ready for it to be over.

My sinuses are still a mess, and I always feel worse after a run. Because of that (and the foot issues), I am down to just doing the Saturday long runs and skipping all of the weekly runs. Since we're tapering now, I guess it's not as big of a deal, and soon I won't have to do any runs.

So, anyway, we did 8 miles yesterday. We left the park, ran down to Waugh, took Waugh into the Heights to 8th Street, then turned around and came back.

It wasn't as bad as it could have been since we were taking it really easy. We're both having some issues with pain in various areas, and neither one of of wants to get injured to the point where we can't finish this thing, so we had no interest in pushing ourselves. So we were pretty slow, and we walked a lot, but we managed to get through it.

I laced my shoe a lot loser to try to take some of the pressure off of my foot, and I think that helped, but it definitely hurt as the run went on. I also started to have some pain in the other foot, either because I was over compensating, or because I need to loosen the laces on the other shoe as well.

So, we got through it. Now there are only 2 runs left before the big one (assuming I don't start feeling better and manage to get some weekly runs in). We will do 6 miles next Saturday morning, and then 1 easy mile the following Saturday (the day before the race). Crazy, crazy.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Yay! Only two weeks left! You are doing great, and soon it will be over and you won't have to worry about it anymore (=

Positive thoughts now! You will positively finish on the 18th. You will positively never have to run again, unless you want to (or being chased by a killer shrew!)

So just put up with it for these last two weeks and you are Golden! (=

Shelley said...

Kelsey - great to see you with a smile on your face this morning on the bayou trails! Breathing in that thick bayou air was killer (and I don't even have sinus revolt going on in my head) but you and many of the teammates I saw looked great! Unfortunately I won't be in Houston for the big day, but I'll send good runing vibe your way. Take care, Shelley

Kelsey said...

Thanks, Shelley! It was good to see you out there. The air got easier to breathe when it suddenly got cold =). Thanks for the well wishes!