Monday, December 8, 2008

Aaaaannnd...sick

Well, last week definitely failed to go as planned.

I ran roughly 20 minutes on Tuesday. It almost didn’t happen at all – it was chilly and wet and dark outside when I got home, but I forced myself out there anyway. I had to stop and walk a couple of times, as my body just didn’t seem to want to do it, but I didn’t do too badly, considering. I was red-faced and breathing hard when I got home. It reminded me more of my earlier runs than my more recent ones.

I actually pulled off a decent 30-minute run on Wednesday. It didn’t feel great, but I ran the whole way, with a stop half-way through for water (the meds dehydrate my pretty badly). It felt like I was getting back on track.

Thursday didn’t go so well. I intended to run 35 minutes, but 10 minutes in I felt really rough, so I turned around and part-ran, part-walked back home. So, I only got in a little over 20 minutes.

I did some serious soul-searching Friday night. I’ve been really sick, and I’ve been pushing my body to do something more physically demanding than anything I have ever done before. I am not someone who takes quitting lightly, but I also don’t want to cause any serious damage to my health. I think that Friday night was the first time that I seriously considered giving up. I mean, it would be one thing to quit because I was tired or cold or just didn’t want to anymore, but I am sick, and this whole thing is taking a fairly serious physical and emotional toll on me.

I decided to head out to practice on Saturday morning and talk to the coach about what I should do. She told me to skip the long run (that’s 2 in a row I’ve missed, now – I haven’t done a long run in 2 weeks) and go home. She says that I got through the 10 mile fine 2 weeks ago, so I should be able to finish the half in January. I am supposed to take it easy (especially while I’m still on the meds) and run only when and how far feels ok. I’ll show up for the 12-miler in 2 weeks and see how that goes, and I will make my decision from there. She thinks that I should be able to finish the half, especially if I am willing to walk part of it, without too much more work on my part.

So that’s where I stand. I am taking it easy this week and trying to let my body heal. I will try to work in a couple of short runs after work depending on how my body is feeling, and I will either show up for the long run Saturday morning or plan on doing my own, shorter long run on Sunday. I am taking things as they come, and I will plan on at least walking the half in January. I will see this thing through, one way or the other.

My CAT scan is scheduled for December 30th, so whatever comes of that will eventually have to be factored into this plan.

The best laid plans…

No comments: