Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I'm a sick-y

Well, I would like to say that I'm getting better about getting my workouts in, but the rest of my life appears to be conspiring against me.

Last week I didn't get any weekly workouts in. There were good reasons though, including an ugly stomach ache brought on by the lunch a vendor brought and my trainer being sick. See, it's not like I skipped them because I was lazy.

Saturday's 8 miles really wasn't too bad. I am feeling stronger, even if I am missing too many runs. And I really don't enjoy the running, still, but I love the feeling I have afterwards. I'm still slow, but I think I've pretty much accepted that.

The neighborhood we ran through on Saturday is one of the nicer ones in Houston, and it was nice and quiet early on a Saturday morning. It was fun to see all of the Halloween decorations. I'm hoping that we'll run through the same area once Christmas decorations start going up.

In health news, I finally got the testing done and the verdict is in - I have asthma. I guess it's really a bit of a relief. I mean, it's nice to know that there's a reason I can't breathe when I run. I no longer have to chalk it up to being out of shape (now, the aches and pains, those are maybe because my body isn't used to the running =)). He put me on a couple of meds, including an inhaler to use before I run. He said I should start feeling a difference in 3 months. I'm pretty excited about that, honestly. I wish the effects would start sooner, but at least I know it's not always going to be this bad.

So far this week I've been better about my workouts. I did a treadmill run on Monday, followed by my Pilates class. Yesterday, I was supposed to have a workout with my trainer, but she managed to forget, so I ended up on the treadmill waiting for her, and I just decided to finish out my workout on the treadmill since I had places to be. I'll miss tonight's track practive because we're taking Kevin to a knife skills class (the kitchen kind, not the throwing kind =)) for his birthday, but I'm planning on running with my lovely running buddy on Thursday since we've missed so many runs together and there's gossip to be shared =). So, yeah, 3 out of 4 weekly workouts isn't bad...

I can't say I'm looking forward to 10 miles on Saturday.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Sounds like things are going OK. I'm surprised at the three month thing though... Most of the asthma meds I've played with are within a week. Except for the "emergency" ones I take when I start to have issues or before I know I will have issues (super hard workout.)

But at least you know what's up and getting it fixed! Yay! Keep up the good work!