Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ah, cool weather

Well, the weather in Illinois is interesting. It's still summer back in Houston, but here it's cold in the morning and 70 when it comes time for my run. Can't say I'm not enjoying the cooler and less humid weather, but I won't enjoy the cold when I'm back here next month.

The runs themselves? Still not enjoying them.

I was excited to start Monday's run since it was so beautiful outside. I drove across the street from the plant to the employee park. They've got a great little track there (bit less than a mile, I think). It makes for a nice run (dirt, not concrete - yay knees!). I felt pretty good at first, but started to fade pretty fast. I have several theories about why my short runs tend to go worse than my long runs, but I really think it boils down to this: I try to go too fast. I start out thinking I'm actually a runner, and I start at a decent clip (still slow, mind you), then I just can't keep up with myself. It's not a conscious thing - I certainly don't think "gee, I think I'll run faster today". I need to make myself consciously slow down so I don't end up having to stop.

I was actually about halfway through the run this time before the side cramps started in badly enough that I had to slow to a walk. Again, I'm not sure why these are more prevalent on my shorter runs than the long run, but they appear to be back. I actually think that they were caused by a combination of going to fast and being dehydrated this run. I just can't seem to stay hydrated for the life of me here. The air's all DRY and stuff. So weird.

I only walked for a little bit, then I slowed my running speed way down and started again. I had to walk once more towards the end, but I got through 20 minutes.

Tuesday's run got pushed out because I decided that I would rather take the opportunity to see a game at Wrigley Field. Even better, I got to see the Astros play the Cubs. Wrigley Field is amazing - it's just such a nostalgic park. I am really thrilled that I got a chance to see a game there, even if it did mean over a 2 hour drive in traffic to get there and getting back to the hotel around midnight. 5 1/2 hours of sleep? Totally worth it!

So, technically, I didn't run on Tuesday, but I did do a fair amount of walking at a fairly good clip (Jackie is a fast walker!) as the car was parked over a mile (possibly 2) from the stadium. I felt like I got a pretty good workout in, even if I didn't run.

Today's run was better than Monday, but still not great. Tonight is track practice back in Houston, and I'm sad I'm missing it. The coach's email said that those of us missing practice should do 10 minutes slightly slower than normal, 10 a little faster than normal, then 10 slower. Since I've been having so much trouble just running, I decided to just try for 30 minutes slow at the loop across from the plant.

I started out slower and did pretty well for a while. At 15 minutes, I had to slow to a walk because of side cramps again. Those are really annoying! I didn't bring my electrolyte drink mix with me, and I'm avoiding Gatorade, but I think that might be what I need to help get rid of those. I only walked for 2 minutes before running again, but then only made it 5 minutes before having to walk. I gave myself another 2 minute walk, then finished out the 30 minutes at a run. It was actually a pretty good run for me. The cool air and nice breeze helps. A lot.

Well, that's the week so far. One more run in the nice weather tomorrow, then it's back to suffocating in Houston. Yay!

No comments: