Sunday, September 7, 2008

Long run

Yesterday's long run went surprisingly well. It was our second go at a 4 mile long run.

I think the major factor for the good run was the weather. It was almost chilly when I stepped outside in the morning - I think it was somewhere around 70 with really low humidity. It felt so good compared to what we have been running in.

Of course, I slept roughly 2 1/2 hours the night before (boyfriend's birthday), so I started out the run tired, but I woke up as we went. At least I had the self control to limit myself to water when we all went out, so I wasn't hungover as well.

We left the park this time to add some variety into our run. We started where we usually do, then ran out of the park and down Memorial. When we reached Shepard (halfway), we ran hills, then we ran back.

We made it to Shepard without stopping (that's 2 miles without stopping - I'm fairly sure that it is the longest I have ever run straight), and I still felt pretty good at that point. We stopped for a little water, then ran our hills and started back. I had to walk for a minute a couple minutes into the run back because my side cramped up badly, and I needed to work it out. After that, I maybe slowed to a walk once or twice, but never for more than 30 seconds.

It really was the best run I have ever had, and I think that the weather was a huge part of that. My pace is still really slow (the run took about an hour), but my body is starting to adjust to running, so speed can be worked out later. I can't wait until the weather is nice more often - yay winter!

I actually got through the whole run without feeling any nausea (again, I think the weather played a huge part, there), and I didn't feel like I was going to die at the end of it. I was tired, for sure, but I felt ok.

I drank a fair amount of water and Gatorade and had some orange slices and bananas at the end of the run, then I headed home and collapsed. I didn't manage to sleep well, though, because I started to feel sick about an hour later - I definitely think I still need to figure out my post run refueling strategy.

But, seriously, it was a great run for me. I am excited that I am showing improvement. I'm still not enjoying the whole running thing, but I do like the feeling of finishing what I set out to do.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Yay for a good run! I am so happy for you that you are able to do these runs and are adjusting to it!

I will definitely get you the Recoverite and HEED to you this week so you can start using it.

Keep up the great work!

Kelsey said...

Steve, you are seriously the best! Get your foot healed up so you can run with me!

Alexis said...

I can't wait until the weather is nice more often - yay winter!

Only in Houston!

I'm glad to hear you're starting to feel adjusted. The early part of training is the worst, or it was for me, so I bet you'll start feeling even better soon.