Friday, August 28, 2009

Track Practice + Happy Hour = Good Night

Tuesday's dessert tasting was amazing. Not such great training, but amazing all the same =)

I know this isn't training related, but it was amazing, so here's the menu:
1) corn dog fritters with hot dog ketchup and mustard ice cream
2) vanilla funnel cake with honey and pineapple and spam ice cream
3) coconut pound cake with citrus fruit and avocado ice cream
4) this amazing charred cherry chocolate float-like concoction
5) some sort of fantastic cake with vanilla-poached peaches and buttermilk ice cream
6) bacon-jelly filled donuts with dark chocolate sauce
7) Chocolate truffle-like round filled with cherry
8) Selection of bon bons

The wine was pretty amazing, too. Ok, back to training...

Track practice on Wednesday went pretty well. I felt stronger than I expected, though really tight in my calves and hamstrings. I need to get everything stretched out - I must get better about using the foam roller!

Ok, so half marathon training was two 800s and two 400s. Roughly a mile and a half. My pace was decent, for me, but really slow. Running is still really hard, but it seems to be getting better. I guess 4 miles on Saturday will give me an indication of how things are going.

After our track runs, we did some form drills - butt kicks and high knees and grapevine and the like. I have to concentrate pretty hard during drills so as not to fall flat on my face (which seems to be the direction that my body wants to go during these things), but I think they're useful.

After track practice, we had a team happy hour at Beck's Prime (didn't even have to leave the park!). It was great to get to know more of our team members, and a beer after a long workout is pretty nice. I hope that we'll get to do more of those in the future - we really do have a fantastic group!

I did intend to do my short run yesterday evening, but I ended up at work for 12 hours, stressed out over completion of a major project, so when I got home, I collapsed and didn't move for the rest of the evening. No good. Runs can't be optional!

Anyway, rest day today, long run tomorrow, then off to Illinois for a week of running in something other than stifling heat.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Is all of this track practice business organized by Team in Training? I need some training like this...led by an actual coach of some sort.

Kelsey said...

Yes. Team in Training does 2 group trainings during the week - our long runs on Saturdays and our track practices on Wednesdays. Our coaches decide routes, distances, and drills. They have a great plan for the whole season. I really think it's the best way to train. I need someone else who knows what's best for me =)