Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Another week...

I wasn't feeling great Monday, so I opted to give myself an off day. I was still waking up feeling so sick, and my knee was still a little questionable. I hate skipping runs, but if I am sick or injured, I miss more. I really didn't want to take a chance at hurting my knee worse. So, Monday I rested. I like resting, but I can't get used to it.

The soreness in my legs from Saturday's long run still wasn't gone when I set out for my Tuesday run. My legs always complain at the beginning of the run, but this was on another level. The soreness melted a bit as I went. Of course, a little over halfway through the run, it felt like my legs themselves were melting. It was almost as if there just wasn't anything left in them. It was a pretty surreal feeling. I managed to push through it, though.

The run, for the record, was 30 minutes and followed what has become my "regular" 30 minute run down the bayou. The last 5 minutes are always tough on me - I start to totally give out right around then, plus it's slightly uphill back towards my apartment.

The runs are starting to become a bit easier, but I still wouldn't call them fun. People keep saying that I will start to enjoy them, but I am still not there yet.

Tonight was supposed to be track practice, but, with the storm rolling in, I was worried they would decide to run a parking garage. The up and down seems to be rougher on my knee than running on the flat, so I really wasn't up for running a garage this week.

I still wanted to do some sort of speed work today, both because it is nice to have a change in pace and because I feel like I am starting to get the distance in, so I want to improve my stride and speed.

James was willing to head out to Spotts Park with me a little later in the day, so we headed out there together. It's always nice to have some sort of company. He spent the time kicking around a soccer ball with his roommate while I ran sprints.

I started out on the grass, but the rain had soaked the ground pretty well, so I gave up on that idea pretty quickly and moved to the path.

I did what I guessed at as 100m sprints. I'd sprint the length, walk back, and repeat. I kept that up for 20 minutes.

I felt like my sprints went really well. I felt fast and strong. Towards the end, of course, my legs started to feel like they were going to give out - my quads were just screaming at me. I am going to hurt all over tomorrow.

I am starting to feel healthier. Hopefully, my knees will still feel good tomorrow. At least I "only" have to run 6 miles Saturday =)

1 comment:

Steve said...

Saying "only 6 miles" feels kind of good doesn't it? (=