Sunday, October 26, 2008

getting back into it...

Well, yesterday was my first serious run back since the sinus infection, and it went pretty well.

I decided not to do the group run so I could sleep in - I figure that I really need the rest right now. Plus, I didn't think that 8 miles would be a good plan for me since I am still trying to recover.

I slept in until I woke up (basically when the sun came up), then headed out on a 6 mile run - from my apartment into Memorial Park, and back.

It was cold out when I started, and the temperature stayed pleasant for the entire run. I really think that the temperature is a huge factor for me, so I was really pleased with the weather.

I used my new water bottle belt for the first time this run. It looked really dorky, but, once I got used to the feel of it, it was a big help. I filled one bottle with HEED, and one with Gatorade (I hadn't used the HEED before, and I didn't want to take the chance of it not working for me and being without anything). That combination actually worked perfectly, and combined with the gel that I took before the run, kept me at a decent energy level.

Anyway, the run was a little rough at first, but I pushed through and settled into it. The first half felt like it would never end, but once I was headed back towards home, I brightened up a little. It really is a motivation to be running towards your bed.

I made the mistake of not taking any tissue with me. Considering I've been sick for 3 weeks, you'd think I would have thought of it, but no. I ended up grabbing leaves off of trees as I ran to blow my nose. It was really pretty gross. Of course, having to hold onto snotty tissues the whole run would have been pretty gross, too. I guess you really can't win.

So, yeah, I finished 6 miles without too many issues. I mean, my knee started to hurt (I'm considering buying a band to take some of the IT Band pressure of my knees), and my lower back was a complete mess all day yesterday (still not sure what caused that), but I made it without feeling like I needed to stop. And it doesn't seem to have made me more sick.

I think I maybe could have made the 8, but I really didn't want to push it. As it was, I finished somewhere around 6 miles in about 1 hour, 15 minutes. That's roughly a 12:30 mile, which is way better than I have been doing. I am hoping that I can keep that speed going. I was happy with the run.

I guess we'll see how this week goes...

1 comment:

Cass said...

Now you just need to learn how to blow your nose while running and without the tissue - it is an art that I haven't yet fully mastered.