Thursday, August 28, 2008

Run!

I hurt a little bit today. In lots of different places.

But I got to run!

When I left my apartment, the sky looked pretty stormy. It was really dark in one direction, and the wind was starting to pick up. I briefly considered not going to track practice, but I really wanted to be able to run since my doctor finally gave me the go-ahead, and I know that the team practices rain or shine. So, I headed out to Memorial. Some of the streets were a little flooded on the way out there, and that’s never really a good sign.

A smaller group than usual gathered around the picnic table, but there was still a decent-sized group there. It turns out that while they have no problem with us running in the rain, lightning is a different story, and the thunder in the distance wasn’t on our side. So, they had us all pile back into our cars and drive over to a nearby parking garage. I didn’t like the sound of that.

We ended up running up and down the 6 floors of the parking garage. It was really tough. Each “loop” was roughly ¼ mile, and we did 4. Kelli and I managed to make the first 3 with minimal walking, but we had to walk up and run down the 4th one. It was definitely rough going, and it got pretty stuffy in the garage.

Of course, it didn’t manage to rain at all while we were there. When we got to the roof of the garage each time, it was nice, fresh, windy air. It would have actually been pleasant to run outside yesterday. I guess things work out like that sometimes =)

We ended the practice by doing lunges down the last ramp of the parking garage. I did a couple before I felt some pain in my mouth, and that’s when I stopped. I was really happy that I managed to get through the running without having to give up, though. It was a good start to getting back into things.

No comments: