Sunday, August 31, 2008

Pain

Saturday's long run was 4 miles. I was actually excited about getting out there and running. Ha!

We did the same loop the 3 mile runs have been on, but going in the other direction (for variety), then we turned around and did 1/2 mile back up the trail, then turned around and finished again.

In typical Houston fashion, the humidity coated everyone in sweat within minutes of being outside (even at 7am). I think I am finally getting used to just being completely soaked at the end of a run, but I can't wait for fall to get here.

The run itself was pretty painful. We definitely walked parts of it, but I tried to keep running as much as possible, even if it was a really, really slow run. We stopped for water once, and once for Gatorade. I think those stops actually made me feel worse, so I really need to work on training my body to accept that I will need to hydrate during longer runs. I just felt a bit sick for a good part of the run. It's a good thing that I am stubborn.

I felt pretty crummy when I finished (though I was proud to have made it through the 4 miles). I didn't feel good again until later in the afternoon. My body appears to still be working on adjusting to the idea that I am actually intent on doing this whole running thing. It currently appears to be trying to talk me out of it, but I am sure it will eventually come around.

Coming up: the first week I will actually be able to follow the entire training schedule. Fun times!

No comments: