Friday, August 22, 2008

Update

I went to track practice Wednesday even though I couldn't run. I wanted to check it out and be there to support the team and whatnot.

The practice was far less intimidating than I expected - the track is a simple, shaded loop without any stands or anything. I guess I was expecting more of an athletic track where people could watch us run.

The group ran 400s. They went one loop at speed, then walked the amount of time it took them to run the loop as a cool-down, then ran the loop again. They kept it up for 20 minutes. The point was to keep their pace even - to run the last loop the same speed as the first.

I couldn't run, which was frustrating, but I did get to talk to the coach about my fears of getting behind. She assured me that I should have no problem catching up, and that I would much rather be missing runs now than later in the season. She really made me feel better about everything. I want to get back to running, though.

Even though I couldn't run, I didn't see any harm in walking the cool-down laps with Kelli. At least I could do SOMETHING.

The trouble started after I got home from the practice. My face started to hurt a bit, so I decided to go ahead and take my pain medicine before bed. The medicine helped a lot, and I managed to get to sleep. But I woke up at something like 3am in a lot of pain, with a face that was much, much bigger than before.

So I went back to the surgeon yesterday. I assumed that he would have a look, tell me I needed another surgery, and have me come back the next day (this has happened to me before). Instead, he decided to do the surgery right then, without putting me to sleep (he definitely put me to sleep before).

He gave me shots to numb the area, as well as a couple of drugs for pain and swelling through an IV (nothing that would make me drowsy, though), then he went in to drain out the infection and clean out my sinuses (the infection was severe sinusitis). Let me tell you, this procedure is definitely not one that you want to be awake for. I am not sure I can think of anything less pleasant. It was an awful, awful experience.

Afterwards, he ended up having to give me a shot to calm the nausea so I could drive myself home.

So, I spent the rest of yesterday and all of today curled up on the couch. I spent a good bit of today dealing with intense nausea, but I think that has finally passed. I am pretty lucky to have a sweet guy who comes by to take good care of me, or I am not sure what I would do.

This will be a blog all about my running again soon.

No comments: